How many syllables?
How it's divided?
- v. t. - To draw out or forth; to pull out; to remove forcibly
from a fixed position, as by traction or suction, etc.; as, to extract
a tooth from its socket, a stump from the earth, a splinter from the
- v. t. - To withdraw by expression, distillation, or other
mechanical or chemical process; as, to extract an essence. Cf.
Abstract, v. t., 6.
- v. t. - To take by selection; to choose out; to cite or quote,
as a passage from a book.
- n. - That which is extracted or drawn out.
- n. - A portion of a book or document, separately transcribed; a
citation; a quotation.
- n. - A decoction, solution, or infusion made by drawing out
from any substance that which gives it its essential and characteristic
virtue; essence; as, extract of beef; extract of dandelion; also, any
substance so extracted, and characteristic of that from which it is
obtained; as, quinine is the most important extract of Peruvian bark.
2 Syllable Words Starting with?