How many syllables in East
How many syllables?
How it's divided?
- n. - The point in the heavens where the sun is seen to rise at the
equinox, or the corresponding point on the earth; that one of the four
cardinal points of the compass which is in a direction at right angles
to that of north and south, and which is toward the right hand of one
who faces the north; the point directly opposite to the west.
- n. - The eastern parts of the earth; the regions or countries
which lie east of Europe; the orient. In this indefinite sense, the
word is applied to Asia Minor, Syria, Chaldea, Persia, India, China,
etc.; as, the riches of the East; the diamonds and pearls of the East;
the kings of the East.
- n. - Formerly, the part of the United States east of the Alleghany
Mountains, esp. the Eastern, or New England, States; now, commonly, the
whole region east of the Mississippi River, esp. that which is north of
Maryland and the Ohio River; -- usually with the definite article; as,
the commerce of the East is not independent of the agriculture of the
- a. - Toward the rising sun; or toward the point where the sun
rises when in the equinoctial; as, the east gate; the east border; the
east side; the east wind is a wind that blows from the east.
- adv. - Eastward.
- v. i. - To move toward the east; to veer from the north or south
toward the east; to orientate.
1 Syllable Words Starting with?