How many syllables in Screw
How many syllables?
How it's divided?
- n. - A cylinder, or a cylindrical perforation, having a
continuous rib, called the thread, winding round it spirally at a
constant inclination, so as to leave a continuous spiral groove between
one turn and the next, -- used chiefly for producing, when revolved,
motion or pressure in the direction of its axis, by the sliding of the
threads of the cylinder in the grooves between the threads of the
perforation adapted to it, the former being distinguished as the
external, or male screw, or, more usually the screw; the latter as the
internal, or female screw, or, more usually, the nut.
- n. - Specifically, a kind of nail with a spiral thread and a head
with a nick to receive the end of the screw-driver. Screws are much
used to hold together pieces of wood or to fasten something; -- called
also wood screws, and screw nails. See also Screw bolt, below.
- n. - Anything shaped or acting like a screw; esp., a form of
wheel for propelling steam vessels. It is placed at the stern, and
furnished with blades having helicoidal surfaces to act against the
water in the manner of a screw. See Screw propeller, below.
- n. - A steam vesel propelled by a screw instead of wheels; a
screw steamer; a propeller.
- n. - An extortioner; a sharp bargainer; a skinflint; a niggard.
- n. - An instructor who examines with great or unnecessary
severity; also, a searching or strict examination of a student by an
1 Syllable Words Starting with?