How many syllables?
How it's divided?
- n. - Something inclosing a light, and protecting it from wind,
rain, etc. ; -- sometimes portable, as a closed vessel or case of horn,
perforated tin, glass, oiled paper, or other material, having a lamp or
candle within; sometimes fixed, as the glazed inclosure of a street
light, or of a lighthouse light.
- n. - An open structure of light material set upon a roof, to
give light and air to the interior.
- n. - A cage or open chamber of rich architecture, open below
into the building or tower which it crowns.
- n. - A smaller and secondary cupola crowning a larger one, for
ornament, or to admit light; such as the lantern of the cupola of the
Capitol at Washington, or that of the Florence cathedral.
- n. - A lantern pinion or trundle wheel. See Lantern pinion
- n. - A kind of cage inserted in a stuffing box and surrounding
a piston rod, to separate the packing into two parts and form a chamber
between for the reception of steam, etc. ; -- called also lantern
2 Syllable Words Starting with?